Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Naked Truth
I went to see "Minsky's" last night. That's the new musical by the "Drowsy Chaperon" creators and producers. As you might have assumed it is based on the play, "The Night they Raided Minsky's" which for you infants was a famous New York Burlesque theatre in the 30's. I assume the show is heading to Broadway, if Broadway is still open when they get there.

It doesn't have the cleverness that Chaperon had, but it does have quick flashes of topless female dancers. In my opinion naked young women on stage that can compensate for many short comings of the lyrics, book and music. Perhaps not enough in this case. Better songs or more tits would be my suggestion.

My friend and stage manager Susie Walsh is the second SM for"Minsky's". Susie is very funny and has the best energy to be around. I absolutely think the world of her. I am trying to persuade her to take a major cut in salary and perhaps self esteem to stage manage my show here at the Colony in December. That decision will probably depend on Minsky's journey to New York.

Susie said that during one of the last scenes of the show all the girls are rushing around back stage naked. She turned to the lead tap dancer, a gay man, and said, "If either one of us liked to look at naked women, this would be the perfect job."

Thanks for the laugh, Susie. Do the Colony with me! How can I do it without you?
As you were,
Jay

No comments: