Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A MEMORY OF LONDON
Here is a blog from July 7th of last year. It was mid run at the Arts Theatre in London. I'll explain later why it has been included. Julia is of course my PSM and Ruthie called the show.

As Julia and I were coming down the stairs last evening we heard a commotion on the steps behind us. It was Ruthie lugging the vacuum down to the stage trailing the hose behind her, which was banging loudly on every step she took. Ruthie was mumbling something about James and how disgusted she was with him. It was not until we arrived on the set that we realized this James Ruthie was complaining about was the vacuum. The "hoover" she carried was not red like Henry; it was painted yellow and on the yellow vacuum forehead was the name James. Ruthie was complaining strongly that Henry Hoover was absent and in his place was this interloper, James. It was clear that her feelings for James Hoover were not as strong as they were for Henry. Julia and I tried not to get involved since we did not know the hoovers personally and James seemed to be doing a fine job on the carpet. James, however, was suffering the abuse of Ruthie who clearly did not think James Hoover was worthy.
"I want to know what happened to Henry", Ruthie kept asking with a plaintive cry. But there was no one to answer. Certainly James did not explain and the Fairy Godmother of the Vacuum obviously had the day off. For the life of me I can not figure out why there were faces on vacuums and why one named James replaced Henry, nor could I relate to why Ruthie was so disturbed by the switch. It seems very British as I think about it. Henry the first replaced by James the suck-sessor. But Ruthie was clearly not pleased. After watching her disdain of James and listening to her rant I knew that it was another case of Ventriloquial Environmental Insanity. (VEI) , People who go crazy when in proximity to a ventriloquist for long periods of time. She had completely anthropomorphized a vacuum-cleaning unit. One might think the ventriloquist would be the one to start feuding with and talking to an appliance, but no it was the Deputy Stage Manager who is suffering from VEI Interesting side note, I found out that Julia's parents are psychiatrists. I'm sure that was her main qualification to work on this show.

So, That was back in July. Just last week I get this item in the mail. It is indeed a miniature replica of Henry. He now cleans up my computer keyboard and reminds me of my friends Ruthie and Julia on a daily basis. I look at Henry and smile remembering the great times, even though they were short at the Arts Theatre. I can't help but think about poor James. It's just a very tough thing to be the little brother.

Thank you girls. Good clean fun.
As you were,
Jay

No comments: