Friday, December 12, 2008

Is Santa Claus Real?
For your second child the question comes a little earlier in age than the first child. Siblings seem to want to "blow the cover story" for the younger ones sooner than their parents.

When my youngest son Taylor asked, "Is Santa Claus real Dad?" I thought I could hedge on my comments and continue the myth a little longer. He was a much younger than his brother was when we told him the facts of the Fat Man. So I decided to go the metaphysical route.

"Santa Claus is the spirit of Christmas, Taylor. He is the symbol of joy and giving. That joy of giving lives with all of us and is very real if you let it be." I know, I know... a little too wordy for a kid, but the truth is often wrapped in metaphor. Taylor thought for a minute, wrinkled his nose, closed one eye and looked up at the ceiling to contemplate what I had said.

"Let me put it this way. Is there a fat man in a red suit that comes down our chimney once a year to leave presents that little elves make?" It was a specific question and deserved a specific answer. It was short and to the point which is the way Taylor always liked to receive his information.
"NO." I said.

"Yeah, I didn't think so." It didn't ever seem to bother him or cause him any problems of readjustment. Christmases continued to be just as joyful and giving as they always were before. I think I figured out there wasn't and anthropomorphic Santa long before the folks knew I did. I guess Taylor and I just cleared the air a little sooner.

As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute...what do you mean there is no Santa?!?!

Bob Conrad said...

I don't believe you, I know he's real! I think?

Linda said...

What?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!