Monday, November 17, 2008

Vent Haven Museum in Kentucky has requested some items to display along with some of the puppets in my collection.  They also want scripts and clippings and anything else that would pertain to my career.  It has been interesting to open those old boxes in storage and discover what is inside.  It's funny how much of your life you forget about.  Things saved at the time seem too important to forget about years later.  I am almost having an out of body experience.

In one trunk I found a script that I had written for a pilot that never happened.  At first I didn't remember writing it and I got totally hung up on the plot.  It is a disconnected feeling to be reading an original story that wasn't familiar under my own byline . 

I also found some design sketches for a jester stick.  I have always wanted to design a jester stick, and forgot that I had ever sketched one out to build.  There was also the beginnings of a face/mouth mounted on a stick that I believe my Mom and Dad made for me when I was in High School.  As I looked at the design and the head on a stick, it looked to be the beginnings of the same project. Although the two things were created 20 years apart it was too weird.

In the day time I have been sorting memorabilia and in the evening I have been creating this jester stick. He has gone through several makeovers so far. I have been documenting the progress with pictures and video.   However, my goal is to have a talking jester stick around for Christmas.  The family thinks that is a scary thought, but it seems pretty natural for me. 

As you were,
Jay

1 comment:

Bob Conrad said...

Please share the work in progress on the jesterstick with us.
I have several hundred puppets packed away, that are not being used, every once in a while go back and search out one for something I am doing. I find all sorts of things I forgot I made.