Friday, October 17, 2008

What do you have to do?
Over the weekend I performed at the dance studio of a friend of mine.  It was a benefit show for the school mainly comprised of dance numbers. I was there in the same capacity that started my show business life: as comic relief while the dancers were off stage changing clothes for their next number.  

It's how I met my wife many years ago.  She was the first dancer to go on after I exited from the stage at an Astroworld Show.  I wouldn't let her go on until I was sure the applause for my act had crested, in those 20 second intervals I fell in love and the rest is by now ancient legend.

So, at this dance show benefit I was un-billed, meaning no one knew I was going to be there, and I was not introduced, I just got up on stage when it was time for my routine. I would love to think that I am famous enough to be recognized when I walk on stage, but that is not the case. I did a little stand up and then introduced Bob, who came out of his box to help me finish my set.  It was a good audience and the reaction was what I expected for the size.  

After the show, a man came up to me and said, "When I saw that case and you said you were a ventriloquist, I thought to myself Oh, NO, not a f----ing ventriloquist.  But I enjoyed it. I had never seen a ventriloquist up close and it was mind bending and funny."  I think I said "Thank you." with the implied asshole tense of the verb. 

It is not the first time someone has said something like that to me.  It seems to some the mere word ventriloquism conjures up such distain as to invoke curse words at the very thought of having to sit though such a routine.  I don't get it.  There aren't that many vent acts around, and although they differ in style, most professionals I have seen are good. At least if the act gets any exposure nationally it is usually good.  The vent weeks on Letterman were some of his most successful shows. 

There were singers performing on the benefit show as well.  Did this same guy see a person standing at the crook of a piano and say, "OH, NO, not a f---ing singer?"  No.  Pre-judgement seems to be reserved for us ventriloquist.  I don't get it.

I have seen many more bad singers than ventriloquists.  The first few weeks of the American Idol contest practically celebrates bad singers.  So why does this guy give a singer the benefit of the doubt and condemn a ventriloquist before either have performed?  I will never understand why ventriloquism gets such a bad rap.  

As the years go by I get less and less tolerant toward that judgement. I mean, what does a guy have to do to raise the consciousness and legitimize this art form... go to Broadway and win an American Theatre Wing Tony Award?  

As you were,
Jay


2 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

Keep doing what you are doing, and don't worry about the A-holes. There are only a hand full of Vents with National exposure and they are all excellent; Ronn Lucas, Dan Horn, Jeff Dunham, Willie Tyler, and now Terry Fator.
All are class acts with nothing to be ashamed of. I saw you at the Helen Hayes, and you made be proud to be a ventriloquist.
Bob Conrad

Anonymous said...

I was once hired to perform at a nursing home for a "Grandparent's Day" party. As I was walking towards the mic with my figure (and before a word was even spoken), I got booed by a 20-something year old kid who was there visiting one of the home's residents.