Monday, October 13, 2008

Change of Season
The smell of smoke is in the air, ashe covers the ground, and the sky is brown , it must be fire season in Southern California. In some places fall means the leaves on the trees turn beautiful colors. Out here they bust into flames. Several freeways are closed and it looks like many people will not make it to work today. Several schools in the Northern San Ferndando Valley have closed. There are some people who will be fighting to keep their homes from burning down today.

Friday I did a show with Bill Medley, the last remaining member of the Righteous Brothers. Their 1965 hit, "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin' " is the most frequently played song in history topping the Beatles "Yesterday". When I told my son who I was going to work with he did not recognize the name until I sang three bars of "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin' ".

Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield teamed up in the late 50's. Originally they called the act "The Paramours". After singing a soulful song a black audience member yelled out, "That's righteous, Brothers". They changed their name for the next show, and coined a new term, "blue-eyed soul". The two remained great friends and partners until Bobby's death in 2003. Just before his death the Righteous Brothers were inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame.  

I worked with them years ago when Bobby was still alive. I have always been a fan of their music, and they were great performers. Bobby was especially a nice guy, very friendly and inclusive. As I was watching Bill from backstage I started thinking about how difficult it must be to do the show without his partner. One of the band members provides the missing vocal parts, but Bill Medley is out there on his own. Using video and a track Bill actually sings a song with Bobby Hatfield. I noticed a little bit of a shift in gears when Medley was sharing stage with Hatfield even though it was only a technical paring. I just can't imagine the emotions that fill Medley as he does the same songs that he recorded with his friend.

I guess that is not a feeling I will ever know. I will always be on stage with my partner, no matter what form he takes.

As you were,
Jay

No comments: