Wednesday, August 27, 2008


This is a picture of a McElroy ventriloquist figure. Sculpted and animated by two American brothers named McElroy. They are considered by some to be the Rolls Royce of ventriloquist puppets. McElroy's are renowned for their complex movements. Everything from independently moving eyes, winking eyes, crossing eyes, upper lip smile, wiggling ears, wig that stands up, ears that flap and in some cases a tongue that sticks out and spits. You can see by the lines around his nose and a line coming up from his upper lip this one has at least upper lip and nose wiggle functions. The control stick can look like a typewriter keyboard with all the movement controls. They have over sized heads and are about 42 inches tall. They all look very similar to this little guy. The Vent Haven Museum has several of them on display.

And we wonder why some children have a fear of ventriloquist puppets? This even gives me nightmares. It should be the ad for one of those Twilight Zone's where the puppet kills.

I know I have chosen a very weird profession. I've worked a life time to try and smooth it into an art form, but when I realize this is the image most people think of... I wonder why I bother.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Bob Conrad said...

I have to agree with you on that one Jay. I have always thought that these figures were creepy, to say the least. I much prefer the soft (muppet style) puppet, or the latex (Axtell) puppets.
Bob Conrad

Linda said...

those of us that have been lucky enough to see you perform realize that what you do is art.... despite that creepy puppet.