Sunday, August 03, 2008

My son Brandon sent this video to me. It comes out of a conversation we were having via Skype about writing and writers a few days ago. Sometimes I think I get better advice from our kids than the advice I ever gave them.

This video is ten minutes long. I know that is near the attention span limits of the of the average blog reader, but if you start to watch it and "get it" you will find yourself rushing to YouTube for the twenty or so other videos of Henry Miller's monologues. If you don't relate, there is a stop button, use it and get on with your life.
This video explains to me why a writer writes. Miller's observational brain has so much stored inside it virtually spills out from over flow. He must write or explode from stored information.

I am glad he is too old to have wasting his writing ability "texting" in chat rooms. On FaceBook this entire event would be reduced to "Henry looked around his bathroom today, 7:22, July 24, 2008."

Here is yet another reason to celebrate old. Watch it or not. It may not mean to you what it means to Brandon and me. Brandon is 25 and I am not, so I know it is not a generational thing. I offer it as my blog contribution this day with great jealousy, envy and awe of this man's talent and mind.


Hope you had a great weekend!
As you were,
Jay

No comments: