Wednesday, August 06, 2008


Accident or Art? Most of the pictures I've been posting have been taken with my new camera. Sandra gave it to me for my birthday before we left for London. We hung around New York for a couple of days before we made our way over the pond. It seems like several life times ago, but it hasn't quite been that long.

I was trying to figure out this new camera over lunch at the Universe Diner somewhere around 8th and 46th Street in Manhattan. I hit the button by mistake while I was setting the camera on the table. I thought I was turning it off. The ceiling is painted with this space-scape and the flash stopped the fan mid motion. I wasn't sure what had happened until later as I was reviewing the pictures I had taken. This picture was the result. It is probably the best picture I took that day.

I wasn't aware enough to actually take this picture on purpose. Perhaps I channeled some photography muse before I ordered my ham sandwich. Whatever happened I like the picture. Maybe I like it more because it was an accident. A gift from the muse to me.

Just goes to show you that there are interesting things all around us at almost every moment of our lives. To be an artist is perhaps just the attention and awareness to look around and see them.

I suppose the lesson here is for me to look around to see what wonderful pictures are hidden in the most mundane of moments. Perhaps it is possible to see life as art and not accident.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Linda said...

the lesson is to find the hidden secrets in every moment.... oh such wonders to behold!
xoxo

Roomie said...

Is there really "life on Mars." You are a phenomenal student of astronomy." And look at those wings on the space craft!!!
Carry on,
TAOTB&TAOP