Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Picture of the Day: Printed on the bottom of the maps in the Tube Stations is this phrase. "Home is the most important place in the world." It's an ad for Ikea, but it was never so true as how I feel right now. I'm ready to go home. I'm done here.  What ever I was supposed to do is over, and right now London has nothing to offer me.  The affair is over before it began.
 
Some of my blogs ended up as an article on Playbill.com talking about our closing the show here in London. That was surprising, and maybe a little bit invasive. But I guess if they want to know how I feel about the situation of closing, I wrote what I felt, anger then sadness then anger again and depression.

I am moving on literally and figuratively. Tomorrow I go back to LA. I won't have to think about it any more. I will be too busy trying to make up for a lost summer of work. I don't think some of the New York investors have moved on, however. There is still a lot of things that just don't add up about this production. 

We ran this show for an entire summer on the same size budget at the Atlantic Theatre in New York, which was a union house. We started off doing the same sort of business, slow and inconsistent. But we were never in danger of closing the doors back then.  There was even a little money left over at the end.  Most everyone thinks that the money was just not raised here in London. But you know what, I am really tired of trying to figure it out, exhausted actually. 

I walked past the theater tonight at 8:00 and it was locked up and dark. Nothing was going on there. The bar was not even open. It is such a shame. Tonight the Arts certainly looked like the theatre...."Of Death" as Nethernore would say. This chapter is over, turn the page.

I don't know how often I will have something to say here on the blog. But please check back. I don't really know who is reading with a few exceptions, but I think of you all as friends. And I guess even someone from Playbill is friend as well.

I promise I will try to be funnier. I got too caught up in the drama of it all to think funny but that will all be gone as soon as I go through airport security. The TSA makes me laugh. Monkey's in uniform have always been funny to me.

Good bye and good night from London home base. Let's talk from America next time.
As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing!!

Anonymous said...

I assure you, there are lots of people reading what you write...living the adventure right along with you...people who've been your fans for years.

Your visit to London was mismanaged. Sadly, there are people there who won't have the opportunity to see your show. They are the poorer for it.

Here...in THIS theatre...your audience is SRO.

You've had SRO audiences before. There are so many more to come.

Anonymous said...

happy trails Jay.Ill look forward to reading your posts from the states.

D.

The Original Acidpixie said...

Jay! I kept trying to see your show while in London. I was there every Thursday at 3, money in hand. I couldn't believe it was cancelled. I live in Denver, but am visiting the UK, and I was so excited that you were here! What can I say - I tried! I hope to see you in the States. COME TO DENVER! Don't "try to be funnier", just be yourself. You were a victim of Across the Pond Syndrome or some such shitty-shyte. YOU ROCK.