Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Photo of the Day: Opening Night (Press night) Andrew Collier and Peter Clayton, my London Producers, wishing me a good show in my dressing room at half hour call. Note the grey suit Andrew is wearing. He has a new suit tailored for every opening night, for every show he produces. Embroidered in the lining of the inside pocket are the words "Jay Johnson: The Two and Only". He told me this will always be his "Two and Only" suit. You gotta love that.

I think that's the thing I like about London the most, their traditions. They have been doing things the same way for centuries and they love the pomp and circumstance. There are rituals that govern their lives which have no relevance in today's society, but they are passed down from generation to generation with great care. It is so much a part of their National ego and consciousness they don't even know that their very traditions define them. So here is Andrew creating his own traditions in his own world of London Theatre. It all seems so sensible.

One foot note: The mother of the little boy who climbed on stage last night wrote a note to the show website today. She said her son continued to repeat the question, "How did he make that puppet talk?" all the way home. He is actually five years old and not seven like I assumed. And here it the best part. His name is Oliver. Of course the little English boy who stole my heart is named Oliver. Thank you Charles Dickens.

Tonight was opening night. Call it press night in London, it was charged with the same energy that an opening night should have. The house was full of first nighters. We had to hold the curtain for a few minutes to get everyone seated. There was a rumble to the crowd before the show started that was electric. They chuckled at the opening announcement which was a good sign and they continued to be one of the best audiences this show has ever played to.

They laughed, they listened, they clapped, they sighed. There were times when they were listening so intently I could hear my own heart beating. My family was there, Sandi, Brandon, and Taylor. The Two and Only family was there as well, Stewart and Bonnie Lane, Dan Whitten, Roger Gindi and Greg Victor. Julia my Company Stage manager asked back stage, "Then everyone who has ever been a part of this show is out there tonight?" It certainly felt that way with one big exception. Lori Ann (The Wiz) was not present , however July 2 is her birthday so I think she blessed the entire day.

Every show is different. That is what we love about live performing. The theatre is of the moment, happening now. We call it live because it is a living breathing presence. There are no safety nets, retakes or do overs in live theatre. You have to do the best job you can the moment the curtain goes up. Sometimes the moon is in the wrong phase and the timing of the world is off by milliseconds and there is nothing that can be done to change the universe. You can struggle through a performance that never takes off like a kite in a calm.

But sometimes all the elements of the show come together and transcend words, staging and lights. The energy of the crowd is so thick you can float on it, soar with it and glide gently back to the boards. The magic becomes so complete even the magician loses himself in the illusion and joins the audience in a moment of awe. This was that moment, tonight, Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at the Arts Theater in London.

There is nothing I would have done differently. It was a dream moment when show and audience come together in perfect harmony. The end of the show exploded, and people leapt to their feet. I was told not to expect an American standing ovation, since it is just not done in the Uk, but there they were on their feet cheering with a sound that I have never heard directed my way before. It was a roar, an instant roar of approval and I flew on the wings of that expression of joy. In the many years that I have been performing I have never felt this experience before. It was unique.

Reviews will be reviews. I don't read them. I hope they are good, so we can continue to do the show. But no show can please everyone so you have to please yourself. Tonight I accomplished what Art Sieving told me to do. I did the best show I could when I got the chance. I go to sleep now exhausted, happy and satisfied. No one can ever take this night away.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations dear Brother! Your Texas family was thinking of you this afternoon and there with you in spirit. How thrilling to read your account of your show. Mr. Sieving would be very proud but not any more than we are.

We love you and are so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

wow. your images so strong and true, i too am soaring and roaring.And know that I love that you take the time to keep telling your story even after you leave the theatre, here in cyberspace. this is what blogging should be about ---life. thanks for sharig.

you are my dickens, and i cana't wait for the next installment...
serially yours, eleanor