Tuesday, July 08, 2008

No picture tonight, but if there was one it would be the Comedy and Tragedy masks.

I've always loved that image icon of the theatre.  It is supposed to represent the spectrum of the dramatic arts from happy to sad.  For a long time I thought it represented two different types of shows.  Now I'm not sure it represents any show at all, I think it represents something much more personal.  

Only six days ago I was playing in front of a packed Arts Theatre on opening night listening to the thunder crack of approval from the London crowd.  It was magical, it was stunning and this is the Comedy mask. I have rarely felt such joy.  

Today I get the call from Andrew Collier that the show will close this Sunday, July 13th.  (Thirteen seems a perfect number to end on)    It's over and this is the Tragedy mask. I have rarely felt such heartache. 

I will someday come to a conclusion as to what happened.  I think it was mostly the wrong venue and inexperienced producers.  This is not a theatre it is a cabaret booked like a comedy club.  I'm not sure I believe in cursed theaters, but if I did the Arts would be the poster child for the black hole of entertainment.

This is not a show that fits any paradigm.  With a word of mouth show as different as this one, I didn't expect to draw crowds for several weeks, obviously I expected it would take more than days.  School is not even out yet. Why spend all this time and money knocking on the door if you don't stay around long enough for someone to open it. The reviews were good and the crowds were loving it. I'm not sure what was expected.  I am very disappointed in the people over here I believed in. 

But all of that is totally irrelevant to my point.

For every opening there is a closing.  For every laugh there is a tear. There is always a second act.  As a thespian I should have known.  To wear the Comedy mask on opening night is to prepare for wearing the Tragedy mask on closing.  It is perfect balance, Yen and Yang.  The blending of both so neither extreme is life changing.  

That's why the theatrical masks themselves are human faces, they are the actor not the show.  For every career in theater there has been the best of times and the worst of times.  In a week I have had them both.

I know the stages of grief will change during this next week. I went from shock to anger very quickly. I would suspect a couple of Londoners will be treated to an ear full before I go.  I hope I don't get too angry and write what I surely will regret, but I can't see the humor in this situation yet.  A comedy writer once told me, "If you can't think of something funny, write about something that pisses you off and it will become funny."  Well, I am ramping up for a laugh riot.  

I think I will be able to do the last shows for the rest of the week,  but how can I tell Squeaky?
As you were,
Jay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've started this three times and deleted as many.
nothing canreally be said.
tell squeaky its not his fault. and he has a Tony.
it is/was working...magical for those there.
just ask Oliver...
sending you love and strength to see this thru ---
xxx,eleanor

Anonymous said...

your closing? Ive busted a gut telling the magical community about the show. Thats really sad.

Anonymous said...

Rave reviews and THIS is your reward? May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their ungrateful armpits. You rock. You rule. And still you were let down. Get me the ****ing chisel and show me who needs a few gouges. Grrrrrrr.

Anonymous said...

I find this decision very hard to grasp.
Your show is clever, inventive, funny, entertaining, very well put together, beautifully presented and gets rave reviews.
Thank you, you are amazing.
And a huge raspberry to the decision makers at the Arts Theatre.

Anonymous said...

This is incomprehensible to me. After a week??? Friends of mine in London saw it and loved it. I saw it on Broadway and loved it.

What a world....what a world.....

Pass the chisel,

Bob Baker

Rachael Jane said...

Hi Jay
I'm really sorry that the show is closing. I was there on the opening night (I'm a good friend of Ruthie's!!) and I absolutely loved it. I thought the act was brilliant and I felt great for days afterwards. I worked as a DSM a the Arts Theatre at the beginning of this year and the show then had enormous problems. I hope you enjoy the remaining performances and I really hope to see you again soon.
Love Rachael xx