Sunday, July 13, 2008

I don't know how many closing nights I have experienced in my life and career. It feels like hundreds maybe thousands. The actual count is not important, even one is too many to forget the profound emotion one feels at the time. I am just settling in to a comfort level with these British audiences, just beginning to feel like I can lead them in the dance. At the moment I know them, I have to tell them goodbye. That's not right, there is no way that feels satisfying.

Tonight was a tough show to get through. It wasn't a very big house but they were a very good audience. Even through teary eyes I could see them standing on their feet at the end. I'm told that British audiences don't do that, and I almost wish they hadn't. How much harder it is to leave when you are receiving such appreciation. I thought for a moment if I could just keep going and never leave the stage the show would never have to end. Is there such a thing as a theatrical filibuster? But it couldn't work. Eventually it was much to traumatic and emotionally draining to stay on stage a minute longer.

In a curtain speech I tried to explain to the audience how hard it will be to leave my friends, Julia, Ruthie and Nathan. The audience can't understand how close I am to these three. Strangers weeks ago, now friends I trust with my show completely. They held the net tight so I could attempt the tricks high above the crowd and have no fear of falling. If the truth be known, I was doing the show for them each night. The audience was just the excuse to start. This show has always drawn to it a unique group of wonderfully talented people. I can't think of a person who was just doing a job, everyone became emotionally involved with the show on some level. Marina the usher brought me flowers from all the ushering staff tonight, with a card signed by each one of them. Marina specifically said that I was to share the flowers with her favorite "person" Squeaky.

I know the drill. On Tuesday around 7:30 I will look at my watch and realize I am not where I want to be. Where ever I am and whatever I am doing, no matter what it is, I will feel like I'm in the wrong place. I'll want to hear that music and feel that rush of uncertainty. I will try to bargain with the theatre gods to give me one more moment on the boards, for just one more night. I will probably be back in Los Angeles before that feeling goes away. The wonderful and frustrating thing is that it will never go away completely. It will all come rushing back at a time and place I am not prepared for. Maybe it will be a smell, a color, a kid that reminds me of Oliver, or just the call of a Seagull. It will remind me of the great time I had in London, it will remind me of that thrilling opening night, my wonderful friends but sadly will not prepare me for the next closing night. Those will never be easy.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Roomie said...

R,
Mandy and I have just read this closing night dialogue with sadness, but also with a lot of smiles and chuckles about all of the wonderful things you have experienced while in the U.K. No need to mention them as you just did with your JJ eloquence, but go back and read what you wrote and, once again, you will realize what a "blessed" young man and performer you are to have had this opportunity, unnecessarily short lived as it was. There will be more adventures and perhaps back in London with the guidance of someone alll knowing like our dear CRM,Jr. who would never have let this debacle happen. Remember, be grateful and cherish every moment of your stay and take all of those moments home to L.A. and to Sandi and your many friends who love you...including the two of us here in the hills. Now go on about taking care of your business that needs to be conducted and "Carry On" as only you can.
LOL from
TAOTB & your favorite TAOP

Anonymous said...

On July 1st 2008 I was lucky enough to be sitting a few yards from the American Legend that is Brian Wilson performing at the Royal Albert Hall, I treated my wife to tickets and we spent a wonderful day and night in London.

On the train ride home I flicked through the London Evening Standard to notice a dream come true! JAY JOHNSON LIVE IN LONDON! Another true legend in the Business!
I love my music and as I am a Professional Ventriloquist here in the UK I love USA Vents! There are not that many GREAT VENTS out there but Jay is in my Top 5 Worldwide!

Immediately upon my return home I texted friends and especially Jimmy my best pal who taught me ventriloquism when I was 12 years old to tell him Jay Johnson was in town! Within days we had 8 tickets booked for September, it was the only dates we could both make together!!!

I was then to fly to Rome to work a Cruise ship when half way through I received the news that Jay had to end the show.
I was gutted, many things went through my mind. Did he get enough TV Coverage? I know if Johnathan Ross had him on and Paul O Grady the show would be inundated with bookings!
My pal Jimmy who I told about the show said you got till Sunday to see it, if you can see it for both of us because he lives 6 hours from London & I am only 2 hours.
I was working Saturday night so only had the Sunday night free! But my parents were staying with me this weekend. I offered to buy them tickets to the show but they were tired and couldn't and my wife was working late.
How could I leave my parents at my home alone when they were visiting.

I felt guilty until I showed them a clip of Jay Johnson on stage with Squeaky from the early 80's. My dad said "Oh its him from Soap" I said yeah dad, and although I am 33 years old I felt like that kid all over again asking my parents if I could go out! He told me to go. So i hopped on the 1st train to London. I got there 2 hours before the show hoping to meet Mr Johnson but the Front of house told me there was no way unless I had an appointment. So I found a pub alone had a pint of beer alone, as if the "Ticket for one wasn't embarrassing enough".

I sat there in awe of Jay for 90 minutes, I don't think I even blinked! He astounded me with his talent and his idea. The History of Ventriloquism & his career in a story like that was overwhelmingly gripping.
He certainly knows his stuff and has the Best Distant Voice I have ever seen! The quips about it being the last show were not wasted, I understood every word, I couldn't help thinking during the show "Why does this have to end" It was a Masterful piece of work!

I have a similar story as child meets older vent and becomes one himself, so I could relate very much! It was very emotional and I believe would make a great Movie!
I hope Jay takes it further!

It was great you ended up with Harry in the case at the end! You will never forget your mentor and neither will I, my main Character in my show is called Arthur!!! (Art for short)
I saw the tears at the end! It doesn't mean it's the end!

Bring the show back Jay, it was a wonderful performance.
I don't know if I was the 1st to Stand up on your last show but I certainly know you deserved it!
I had to leave after as I had to catch the next train home to spend time with my parents and meet my wife from work.

I hope we do meet one day and you enjoy my DVD which I left in the foyer with the manager.

Monday morning I had to fly to Portugal to work a family Hotel Monday evening, after 1 hour and 10 minutes on stage around 10 people stood up cheering, the crowd were wild! It is a great experience and a wonderful thing that us Vents do! We never give up!!!