Tuesday, June 24, 2008

No pictures to day. I didn't have a chance to even take my camera out of my pocket. I guess you would call this the 10 out of 12 days. In America that is when you are allowed to work the show for ten out of twelve hours to get it done and open. However, there really isn't anything like that over here. The unions are really not so strong and that is a union distinction. Everyone is working as hard as they can. Of course since the stage is doing double duty, there has to be time to change the set for the other show. But we are in great shape considering there are people running the show who have only seen it two times by now. The back stage is really cramped, and hard to move around. The stairs to the stage from the dressing room are dark and steep. There is no air conditioning at the theater. London never got that hot, until the last couple of years. Something like global warming has changed the summers. It has been hot and promises to get hotter. It may become an issue, but there are so many unknowns at this point that is just another on the list. However, as my friend Wylie reminds me, we have done this show under some very strange circumstances since we left Broadway. This is not even on the "difficult" radar in comparison to other venues.

My dressing room is small and they have built a make shift clothes rack in the middle of the entrance. The door hits it and won't open all the way because of it. I don't need the wardrobe space so I am getting them to take it out for my run. There is really no place to store things except my dressing room. The large pelican trunk I used to ship most of my show in has been an issue. It seems to always be in the way no matter where you try to put it. However, there is a small closet space just behind the door where the monster fits like a glove. That gave me a lot more room. Several of my smaller road cases fit in side of it so, it is all just a matter of figuring it out, and I just haven’t really had the dressing room long enough to arrange.

Tomorrow we will run the show for sound cues. Then run the show for lighting cues and then do sort of a “head to tail” run through, and set for the first public performance that evening. I am looking forward to it. The energy of this theatre seems to be good, but that will tell when we have some patrons. Because this is our first week we are not doing a matinee on Thursday, which is a good thing for me. It will give me a day to recoup before we get into the double show run.

I love London but it does not have the same creative energy for me that New York has. I seemed to find a story around every corner in New York to write about. Here it is a little more ‘calm’ and less frantic so you have to look for the stories.
I’m sure they are there and I will have a lot of time to sleuth them out, particularly when everyone goes away. My kids are coming in a few days; Sandi is here as are Murphy, Paul and Clifton. Soon everyone will have to be on his or her way and I will have much too much time to look for stories to write about.
More later.
As you were,
Jay

3 comments:

Unknown said...

KNOCK 'EM OUT! - & as we always advise our daughter before any first show "DON'T BREAK ANYTHING!"

Thoughts and love are with you all

Michael & Julie

P.S. - Could you turn the music up a bit?

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I have really enjoyed reading the blog on your exploits in London. I know that you are so excited to be there and to have those Englanders see and hear your performance. It's a great show and I know the British will love it.

I also really enjoy the pics. Especially the "four sheeter". That is such a neat picture, to see yourself in front of your own poster in LONDON!!! You must be pinching yourself often to be sure it's not a dream.

I hope that opening night was a great performance and a great audience. As Wylie says, keep the blog going so that we can live vicariously through your observations. Some day I hope to get to London. I have an ancestor who is buried in Westminster Abbey.

We look forward to hearing about opening night, etc. Keep it coming.

Have a great run!

Bill the Band Guy

Roomie said...

Do previews begin the 25th and the opening night is July 2? I've seen June 24 and 25 and no where the date of the REAL Opening. I see where Mark Quinn is coming to town in August. You two have a guiness for me and Bill.
Carry on,
R&M