Saturday, September 29, 2007

Last night was the one year anniversary of our Broadway opening. I couldn't let the day go by without a blog mention.



I spent the evening alone with my memories in the middle of the ocean on board RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas. Granted there are 1500 others on board as well, but none I felt was worthy of this special occasion. It was, for that reason, an unremarkable event.( Bob and Darwin even had other plans that did not include me.)



It seems longer than a year ago for all the things that have happened since. But it was such a wonderful experience and still fresh on my mind.



I wanted to run

The Two and Only for a year on Broadway but that wasn't to be. However, a Tony Award is a great emotional equalizer.



Paul Kreppel, one of my directors, is still running off-Broadway in a show that opened about the time we did. His performance is the best thing about the show, which will probably continue to run through Christmas. Odd how things work out.



I am looking forward to Dallas almost as much as Broadway. I spend a lot of time wondering why the powers in charge can't convert a Tony Award winning show with Valentine reviews into a great tour?



London is the next big thing. I think the show will have a much greater appeal there than even New York. There will be new producing blood with an entirely new idea about marketing the show. It is in the works and very exciting.



So thanks to all who made that Broadway experience possible. I still run into people who are in love with the show. The cruise director on this ship saw the show off-Broadway and raved about it to the shipboard audience.



I can't wait to be performing it again.

Happy anniversary.

As you were,

Jay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

R....
And Happy Anniversary to you as well. Mandy and I thought about this yesterday as we were walking in the hills and what a special time it was for me to be reconnected with my special friend/s after so many years as though time had stood still. The show was the highlight of the trip and I can hardly wait for the publicity to come out for Dallas...we will be there.
Do you need an "executive assistant" when the show goes over the ocean...I am available.
Love to you and look ahead to what's out there for you and TT&O.
Carry on,
DW&M
ps...did you get the photo and DF memorabilia?

Linda said...

Hmmmm, I was out of town and the thought of the TAO anniversary came into mind as well. In fact, I had a conversation with a friend about the possibility of a road trip to Ithaca on 10/27......

Corine said...

Happy Anniversary, Jay.
You are not the only one who misses you're adorable show. I go on utube all the time to watch you and Darwin on Letterman. I adore that character and all of your other characters. It is so cute.
Don't touch Darwin's heiny. It is not brokeback mountain but you are his friend.

We love you, Jay. I raise a very good glass of Pinot Noir in your honor and hope you will be back on Broadway again soon.

Talent is a terrible thing to waste and I am one of many adoring Broadway fans who adored The Two And Only.

Happy Anniversary Tony Award winner.
Corine Cohen
http://www.corinescorner.com