Monday, June 11, 2007

As I worked the red carpet last night at the TONY’s one reporter asked me, “Who is it you most want to meet here tonight?” I hadn’t given that much thought, everyone around me was someone I respected and admired, but as I looked to my left Eddie Izzard was talking to a reporter about 10 yards from me.

I have worn out a DVD of Eddie’s “Dressed to Kill” and my family and I can quote his material word for word. He is truly a comic genius. I love his new series the Riches, I have seen “The Cat’s Meow” where he plays Charlie Chaplin 10 times. He is a master class in comedy and acting. I told the reporter, “There is my idol Eddie Izzard it would be great to meet him.”

Now I have never been to a TONY awards show before. I have been a faithful television viewer for many years. Both my sister in law’s on Sandi’s side of the family have danced on the TONY’s, but being there is much different. There I am seven rows from the stage, sitting on the isle of Radio City Music Hall waiting for them to get to “my category”. Two rows in front of me is Eddie, my idol, but he is up and down and I can’t seem to find the chance to introduce myself. Each time a presenter comes on stage my heart races and my stomach leaps into my throat. Above the stage, a screen would announce the category, every time is was not “Best Special Theatrical Event” my stomach would fall.

Then Eddie Izzard comes on stage, suddenly above him on the screen is “Special Theatrical Event”, Sandi and I look at each other in shock and amusement with the realization that not only is this the moment, but Eddie Izzard will deliver it.

He is extremely funny with the introduction and I am enjoying him work from seven rows away, but my heart is in my sinuses trying to get out. For one quick moment my dark side threatens the joy of the moment. Sitting behind me is my competition, Kenny and Justin, better known as Kiki and Herb. Justin is dressed in a backless gown and makeup, not quite Kiki, and not quite Justin. My dark side says, Eddie Izzard known for being a transvestite and Justin, transvestite, my competition is behind me. At this point Eddie has announced the nominees for the competition and Kiki and Herb get a much bigger round of applause from the Radio City Audience than me. Here comes the dark side to say, “Wait a minute…. Did the telecast specifically ask Eddie Izzard to present this award because they knew Kiki would win? “ Now my heart is beating too fast to register. I am squeezing Sandi’s hand so hard she can only grip mine harder to save her digits.

I don’t really remember much after Eddie Izzard says, “Jay Johnson” it is a whirl wind of activity being whisked backstage with my producers. I am trying to tell Eddie how much it means to me to get a TONY from him, but I am stuttering in the moment. He pats me on the back and disappears. My friend and television director Bruce Burmester is back stage and is the first one to yell congratulations. They take the official photo and I am taken next door to 30 Rock for the press interviews. I am gripping my TONY like it is a life line.

The down side is that I suddenly have to go to work and miss all the other categories. However, I look up as I am making my way to the next interview and see Julie White, she has just won a TONY for best Actress. She was my buddy at the luncheon. I have calmed down enough to say, “Hey… is that a TONY… oh look I have one too.” We giggle like kids on a merry go round. There is a frenzy of photos as we pose with our awards. Then Julie says, “Well you may be ‘special’, but I am ‘the best’.

I haven’t been a TONY AWARD winner for more than a few hours yet, but Julie is right, I feel very special. . All I can say is it will be an evening I will never forget. I can finally breath again. Paul, Murphy and I did not set out to win a TONY. We just wanted to do the best show we could. What a trip. I am headed for a cruise tomorrow, there will be more
As you were,
Jay

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told my fiancee, "He's gotta win it!"
Then you did.
We whooped.
Congratulations

Anonymous said...

One of my fellow Friars (one of your producers) was mentioning your show at the Friars Club. Having loved your act for many years...since Soap...my wife and I made our way over the The Two & Only. She loved it...but I was truly moved...as well as wonderfully entertained. Your passion for your art shined through like a beacon of joy and hope in an increasingly disraught world. When I see passion like yours, it makes me understand why some people love their lives and their jobs and some...most...just go through the motions. Your stories of your mentor and career in the show were thoughtful and sincere. Your memories became my understanding of your art, your work and your talent. Thank you for a great evening at the theatre. You deserve your Tony and I congratulate you for winning it and the voters for knowing a smart, entertaining and passionate show, and an exceptional talent, when they see two...and only.

Chuck & Dante said...

Congradulations Jay! I am sory I did not get to see you win, I was in Houston watching Jeff Dunham @ the Improv.

I have been a big fan of yours since watching you "soap".

I can not wait to see "The Two and Only" when it comes to TX. (please don't forget about us, Austin works best for me..lol)

Again, GREAT JOB!! YOU MAKE US ALL PROUD!!!

Chuck

whendovescry said...

Congratulations Jay! I'm soooo happy for you.
Berd

whendovescry said...

Congratulations Jay! You did it!

Anonymous said...

Congradulations Jay! You deserve it. I saw the show at the Hell $ Hayes and you were outstanding. It proves that the best wins even if it doesn't run the longest. All of us fellow vents are proud of you , and maybe even a little envious. You're the best, keep the show running on the road, and maybe even bring back to Broadway.
Best always
Bob Conrad

Linda said...

What can I say I haven't already said...

You da man.....
(never said that one before)

No really, it was an awesome experience at the Hayes and I'm sure what's to come will be even better!! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Did you hear the screams of joy coming from Texas?! We are so proud of you, Brother. Lots of your fans in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex are STILL hootin' and hollerin'.

Congratulations! Love you!!
Sister

Anonymous said...

Jay,
We are thrilled for you! Could you hear us cheering and screaming??!!!
At long last, the recognition you deserve.
Best, Susie Lentini NYC

Joe Schick said...

I have been a fan since Soap.

It was an honor to see The Two and Only on Broadway, and congrats on the Tony.

Joanna said...

Congratulations Jay!! I am so happy for you and this well-deserved recognition. You were a winner 37 years ago when we worked together in Miami and, like a fine wine, you've only gotten better with age! Wishing you all the best! Joanna, Las Vegas

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!!!!

We've been hoping for this since we saw you last fall!

This is not so much something you won as something you deserve!

Congratulations!

PS Have you told Bob?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you. You are an amazing talent and I am excited that you will be going on tour. I am looking forward to your show in Dallas.

Lisa Stover

Unknown said...

Jay,
Congratulations! I think your award is long over due. I hope to catch your show if you come to Ft. Worth. I used to work with you at Charlie's Place. I worked the lights and sound when Charlie's first opened. I wonder what became of the other performers...

Parker Repp

Lloyd Lebow said...

The first time I saw you do your thing, in junior high, I knew you were going to be a winner. Little did I know you would win a TONY!!!! Fabulous! I've been proud of you ever since you put on the gloves against Duane Walker, and beat holy crap out of him.
Lloyd Lebow

Anonymous said...

I'm beyond excited. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Please come to the Fox Theater in Detroit. I am looking forward to seeing your show. It is such a treat to see a really nice guy go so far. Give my best to the family and to all your little puppet friends as well. I know they are your family too!

Hugs,

Sue

Anonymous said...

The boys and I watched. We were clapping and screaming. I thought you did a great job with your speech, although I didn't hear you thank your sister. Next time make sure you mention her.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

TO JAY:
I've had a wall-to-wall smile since Eddie said "The winner is-Jay..."

My KIDS and I envisioned this night from the moment we viewed the workshop dvd in 2003 (dana was 7 at the time). The logic was simple-anything that could hold a 47 yr. old, an 11 yr. old and a 7 yr. old's undivided attention for 90 minutes straight on a mini DVD player at 8am is 'special' an 'event' and certainly 'theatrical!'

As my fifth gade teacher used to say "YOU GOT WHAT YOU DESERVED!

LOVE,
DAN AND DANA AND ADAM

Anonymous said...

Judi Tymec said...
Congrats, you truly earned your "Tony". The hubby and I have been friends from your days on "Soap" and we both enjoy your work and were very pleased to see your named called. I am waiting with baited breath for your arrival near us for your tour. God bess!
Judi T.
10:51 PM

BarryF said...

Congrats Jay... Haven't read the blog in a while and this was a huge bit of good news. See you in Vegas in a few days.

Barry