Sunday, May 20, 2007

I have become unabashedly shameless about flaunting my Tony nomination. It feels like I just got a degree from a prestigious university. I don’t know why one needs to feel accepted or acknowledged by their peers but that feeling is great. Besides this is a once in a lifetime event for me and I plan to suck it dry and enjoy every second of the ride.

The day after the nominations comes the publicity mini junket. On the top floor of the Marriott, hundreds of reporters and thousands of press agents engage the nominees in a flurry of interviews. It becomes a cross between the trading floor at the New York Stock exchange, and a hooligan riot at a soccer game. Each video crew has a draped cubical which serves as a mini studio. Each publicist with client in tow tries to squeeze maximum face time with each interviewer. The questions become the same. The task for the nominee is to come up with different ways to say the same thing over and over. “How did you hear?, Where were you when you heard?, Who first called you?, What does a Tony mean to you?”

Everybody gets their turn in the order they show up until Christopher Plummer appears. The crowd parts and Mr. Plummer trumps everyone in line. The same thing happens when Angela Landsbury arrives. Frank Langella walks through with purpose going only to the reporters he wishes to talk to. You see there is a difference between nominee and legend.

At the beginning of this tour through press-land they give each nominee a lapel pin that has the Tony emblem and says Tony Nominee 2007. It is a beautiful pin and one that I will keep forever (in fact I have only taken it off to go to bed each night since I got it). In this smile fest of interviews the game is to acknowledge each person sporting a lapel button with a heartfelt “Congratulations”. It is fun, akin to calling the bride at a wedding by her new name.

So the game now is to keep my expectations managed until June 10th and realize that the honor has already been bestowed. Some one asked me if this was a dream come true? Actually no, I have never even dared dream about a Tony nomination. There is a line from the film “Broadcast News” when the William Hurt character says to the Albert Brooks character, “What do you do when your life exceeds your dreams?” Brooks says,
“You keep it too yourself.” Good advice and enough said.
As you were,
Jay

4 comments:

Linda said...

Dream!!

I dare you!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jay,

I saw your performance on CSI. I am ashamed to say that I could not place you. We are huge fans of CSI in my house and it was driving crazy. I searched everywhere to find out who you were. You are not credited on the IMDb site. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1003874/ In which, by the way, in sent in an update. So, I went to the CBS.COM, and the CSI message board on there and asked. A very nice person told me who you were and I was like, of course!!!! I have since found this site and watched all the videos of you on You Tube. I would love to see your show so please come to Detroit. If you don't, I will give me a horrible pain in my saw dust. You should add pictures of you on IMDb site. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425318/Congratulations on your nomination! Good luck, I hope you win! I am now your biggest fan!

Sue

Anonymous said...

5/28/07 I just checked the IMDb site and they have now credited the CSI eppy to your name. You should still add your photo.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Tony Award I bet you guys are as high as a theatre family can be. It was a special surprise for me to see my friend Murphy Cross on the the stage there at Radio City Music Hall..and I wanted to send her my love. She and I were very good friends when we worked together in Bubbling Brown Sugar, she was the token white girl in the show and she'll know what that means. I fell in love with her then and my heart skipped a beat to see my good friend on stage once again. My best to all and for the future of your Tony Awawrd winning prodiction

Elliott Lawrence
elb1747@msn.com