Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Wiz report for Wednesday

What an amazing crowd tonight! These audiences have been our best, responding from the time Jay steps on stage until the time he steps off. We're having so much fun just listening to them enjoy the show.

My personal favorite part of this evening was Darwin's routine. Toward the beginning of the routine, Darwin does a little jazz "scat" before he announces that he can talk. When we were at the Atlantic Theatre a couple of years ago, Jay started changing the scat a bit, just to shake things up a bit. This led to a game that we like to call "name that monkey song". It's a fairly easy game. Darwin does his scat and I try to guess what song it is. Suffice to say, I am not very good at this game, but it's fun and I enjoy playing. As time passed, the game became more challenging as I starting giving Jay categories from which he could choose a song. So we're in the middle of the show tonight, and imagine my surprise when Darwin does a different scat. I immediately start thinking of what song it could be, as it's not one of the songs that Jay usually does. I couldn't figure it out. At the end of the show Jay comes offstage and I asked him what song it was. Well I never would have guessed it, as it was a jazz riff that Jay made up. So there you have it - now you too can play "name that monkey song".

Until the next one,
Wiz

No comments: