Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Wiz report for Saturday

We had a terrific matinee today. The audience was energized and we had the time of our lives. In fact, I'm still laughing.

I usually don't write until after the second show on a two-show day, but after our great matinee, I just couldn't control myself. This posting also requires a little back story - - When I did the show both at the Atlantic and in Cambridge, I was able to call the show from a position located in the front of the house so that I could see the show from the same view as the audience. I loved that position. It allowed me to be in close proximity to the audience, enabling me to see and hear the show exactly as the audience does. I always felt a great connection to the audience from there. It's a little different at the Hayes. Here I am calling the show from backstage and have to look at it either from a monitor or "live" from the side of the stage. It's a position that I have had to get used to. Now that I'm used to it, I love it. I have a little less of a sense of the audience but a much greater connection to Jay while he is onstage. In fact, during the Squeaky scene we are no more than 6 feet or so away from each other. Over the past two days, Jay and I have had a slight difference in opinion as to the audience reaction for Nethernore's "How do you know when something is dead? There's a lull in the conversation". Today we get to that part in the show and it gets a very nice laugh. I'm looking at the stage live and suddenly see Jay and Nethernore swing around and give me the look of death! I thought for sure that I would be Nethernore's next meal. So what do I do? Laugh, of course. So we're coming up on the end of the routine and Nethernore starts to talk about the fact that he is a student at Cornell University. Last night, Nethernore said that he was a student at both Cornell and NYU. Jay and I were discussing that today. So we're at that moment in the show today and Nethernore says that he's a student at Cornell and then adds "and sometimes NYU" and once again he swings around to give me the look of death. I am defintely his next meal. But I have to say, I've never felt more connected to an actor during the course of a performance. It is one of the great things about doing a one person show. We support each other out there and do the dance together. It's a wonderful thing to be such a part of.

And the monkey song...from "Carmen". We all got it, though Joe the electrician had to tell me it was from Carmen. At least I could sing the song!

Until the next one,
Wiz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at that matinee. It was the tonic I needed after a tough week. I came away from the show exhilarated. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. I already have tickets for February.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, it is great to have you back stage, Wiz. Right where the Wizard should be, controlling the large disembodied head.
You are my friend and my safety net.
Thank you.
Oz

Anonymous said...

Brilliant show on Sunday . Thanks for making me laugh and cry at the time. I will reccomend it to all.Now I have to go practice with the Spaulding Eyes I bought.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant show on Sunday . Thanks for making me laugh and cry at the time. I will reccomend it to all.Now I have to go practice with the Spaulding Eyes I bought.