Saturday, October 07, 2006

Here is a quote from a fan who sent me an email via the web site. He complimented the show but also said:

“Along with the very friendly house staff (which is uncommon in most theatres) it made for a excellent night at the theatre.”

I am glad he said it, because it is true. The house staff at the Helen Hayes is exceptional. I was always taught that a performance begins the minute the audience walks into the theatre. Having such wonderful ushers helping people get to their seats, and excellent house management makes my job so much easier. The audience, because of the staff, is happy from the first moments of the show

Ladies and Gentlemen of the front of the house, if you are reading this, I thank you and salute you. This is not just a one-person show; we are all performing in this experience together. I could not be happier to share the stage and house with such consummate professionals.
By the way I love to see you in the Darwin shirts. Too much fun.
As you were,
Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At most theatres the house staff consists of an angry old lady at the front, and ushers that point and say "Your seat is over there". Having a show and theatre where the ticket takers welcome you and say "Enjoy the show" and the ushers walk you right to your seat truly does add to the experience of the show.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear that; people think being an usher is easy but it can be stressful.
I have to say that most of the audiences we get are the kind of people who KNOW they are going to the theatre and understand to wait for an usher to help them.
We can be crabby sometimes (okay, *I* can be crabby) but we do try.
--Me

PS Jay, I do wish it were true that there was a ghost in those side door/spotlight holder areas...